Front Range Ski Mountaineering Resources
Weather, Avalanche, and Travel Resources
- Colorado Avalanche Information Center – CAIC shifts to statewide spring avalanche reports in mid to late April.
- Open Snow – The Colorado Daily Snow report by Joel Gratz is a very helpful tool for understanding upcoming storms.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration – NOAA has point forecasts for the Front Range’s Loveland Pass and Rollins Pass.
- TripBuzz's Avalanche Safety Resource Guide - TripBuzz has packaged links to to helpful websites on subjects such as avalanche safety basics, avalanche safety courses, apps & tutorials, and avalanche safety for kids.
- 14ers.com – This is a great resource for the highest peaks of Colorado and it also has an interactive forum including trip reports. The old 13ers.com website has been incorporated into 14ers.com so you can also find information on the highest 13,000' peaks as well.
- Summit Post – Summit Post has good information on routes and an interactive forum including trip reports.
- 14erskiers.com - The blog for Frank and Brittany Konsella of Crested Butte. They have both climbed and skied all the 14ers in CO. This website is a great resource for backcountry skiing, hiking, biking, and exploring in Colorado and beyond. Subscribe to their newsletter!
- Exploring the Rockies - Ben Connors, Brian Miller, and friends have collected a vast library of the accounts of their adventures in the Rocky Mountains. This includes extensive information on Colorado and Front Range ski mountaineering, and it is also the inspiration for their book "Climbing and Skiing Colorado's Mountains: 50 Select Ski Descents." See the guidebook list below for more information on this need-to-have Colorado guide.
- Backcountry Recon - A collection of Front Range backcountry and ski mountaineering knowledge including collected links to route trip reports, blogs, etc. from numerous skiers.
- Ski the Fourteeners - This website documents Chris Davenport's quest to ski all of the Colorado 14,000' peaks in one calendar year including the Front Range's Mount Evans, Bierstadt, Grays, Torreys, and Longs Peak.
- Centennial Skiers - This website documents the effort by Chris Davenport, Ted Mahon, and Christy Mahon to ski the one hundred highest peaks in the Centennial State including the Front Range's Mount Meeker and Mount Edwards.
- Wild Snow - The blog of Colorado's godfather of backcountry skiing and ski mountaineering, Lou Dawson.
- Stan Wagon - Stan Wagon's "Steep Skiing in Colorado Page" is a great ongoing record of his skiing exploits and descriptions of routes and mountains.
The Best Maps Out There
- Latitude 40 Maps - Colorado Front Range, Boulder-Nederland, Summit County
- Sky Terrain - Colorado Springs - Pikes Peak, Southern Rocky Mountain National Park - Indian Peaks
- Front Range Descents – A great book by Ron Haddad and Eileen Faughey with some of the routes on this website and other peaks in Summit County (out of print).
- Backcountry Skiing and Ski Mountaineering in Rocky Mountain National Park – 2013 book by Mark Kelly with great insights into RMNP.
- Climbing and Skiing Colorado’s Mountains: 50 Select Ski Descents – 2014 book by Ben Conners and Brian Miller with great information on several Front Range routes and others in the state.
- Making Turns in the Tenmile-Mosquito Range - 2012 book by Fritz Sperry covering Summit County's Tenmile Range and Park and Summit's Mosquito Range.
- Dawson’s Guide to Colorado’s Fourteeners – These books note several great ski descents on Front Range 14ers and the ski mountaineering knowledge expressed in this book is second to none.
- Colorado 14ers – Gerry Roach’s 14ers guidebook is the standard for Colorado and he describes routes on the 14,000’ peaks of the Front Range.
- Colorado 13ers – The quality of the Colorado 14ers book is extended by Gerry and Jennifer Roach into this book covering the Colorado Peaks from 13,800’ to 13,999’ including several on the Front Range.
- Colorado’s Indian Peaks: Classic Hikes and Climbs: Gerry Roach’s definitive mountaineering guide to Colorado’s Indian Peaks.
Front Range Mountaineering Guides & Avalanche Courses
- Vetta Mountain Guides
- Ptarmigan Mountain Guides
- Colorado Mountain School
- Climbing Life
- Irwin Guides
- Never Summer Outdoor School
Wildenerss First Aid, Search and Rescue
- ALCS Wilderness First Aid Basics by David Patterson
- Rocky Mountain Rescue Group
- Alpine Rescue Team
- Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol